Dr. Daniel Cameron: Inside Lyme Podcast
ALS or Lyme disease for a 63-year-old man?
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, is a progressive motor neuron disease.
“In July 2018, that is, within six months, he developed paraparesis of both arms and also suffered from cramps in the shoulder girdle and hand muscles,” wrote the authors. “By August 2018, the patient was severely impaired in everyday life activities.”
I first read about this case by Wirsching and colleagues in the journal Clinical Case Reports.
His spinal test was positive for Lyme disease a high white count and positive labs tests for Lyme disease. He was treated with a 3 week course of intravenous antibiotics without gains. The author concluded he suffered from ALS instead of Lyme disease.
“It is vital to exclude potentially treatable diseases in the differential diagnostic work-up of all patients not to miss seldom, but treatable differential diagnoses such as neuroborreliosis,” the authors concluded.
- Wirsching I, Ort N, Uceyler N. ALS or ALS mimic by neuroborreliosis-A case report. Clin Case Rep. Jan 2020;8(1):86-91. doi:10.1002/ccr3.2569
You can hear more about these cases through his blogs, social media, and YouTube. Sign up for our newsletter to keep up with these cases.
How to Connect with Dr. Daniel Cameron:
- Check out his website: https://www.DanielCameronMD.com/
- Call his office: 914-666-4665
- Email him: DCameron@DanielCameronMD.com
- Send him a request: https://danielcameronmd.com/contact-daniel-cameron-md/
- Like him on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drdanielcameron/
- Join his Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/danielcameronmd/
- Follow him on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DrDanielCameron
- Sign up for his newsletter: https://www.DanielCameronMD.com/
- Subscribe and ring the bell: https://www.youtube.com/user/danielcameronmd/
- Leave a review on iTunes or wherever else you get your podcasts.
We, of course, hope you’ll join the conversation, connect with us and other readers, ask questions, and share your insights.
Dr. Cameron is a Lyme disease expert and the author “Inside Lyme: An expert's guide to the science of Lyme disease.” He has been treating adolescents and adults for more than 30 years.
Please remember that the advice given is general and not intended as specific advice as to any particular patient. If you require specific advice, then please seek that advice from an experienced professional.