Dr. Daniel Cameron: Inside Lyme Podcast
7-year-old girl with PANDAS and Lyme disease
This case involves a 7-year-old girl who developed multiple physical and neuropsychiatric symptoms six months after vacationing in a tick endemic region of the US.
I first read about this case by Cross and colleagues in the journal Frontiers in Psychiatry.
The patient’s symptoms were extensive, Jones explains, and included “dramatic declines in cognitive functioning, concentration, and ability to focus, a loss of math skills, the onset of dysgraphia and difficulty with social cues, decreased processing speed, word selection problems, anxiety, fatigue, nighttime awakening, chills, joint and muscle pain, moodiness, both general and separation anxiety, and panic attacks.”
She was diagnosed and treated for Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections (PANDAS) and Lyme disease. The Cunningham panel was positive for three out of four antineuronal antibodies consistent with PANDAS.
She was treated successfully with a combination of antibiotics and IVIG.
- Cross A, Shimasaki C, Bouboulis D, and Jones CR. Case Report of PANDAS and Persistent Lyme Disease with Neuropsychiatric Symptoms: Treatment, Resolution and Recovery. Frontiers in Psychiatry. Vol. 12, 2021
You can hear more about these cases through his blogs, social media, and YouTube. Sign up for our newsletter to keep up with these cases.
How to Connect with Dr. Daniel Cameron:
- Check out his website: https://www.DanielCameronMD.com/
- Call his office: 914-666-4665
- Email him: DCameron@DanielCameronMD.com
- Send him a request: https://danielcameronmd.com/contact-daniel-cameron-md/
- Like him on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drdanielcameron/
- Join his Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/danielcameronmd/
- Follow him on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DrDanielCameron
- Sign up for his newsletter: https://www.DanielCameronMD.com/
- Subscribe and ring the bell: https://www.youtube.com/user/danielcameronmd/
- Leave a review on iTunes or wherever else you get your podcasts.
We, of course, hope you’ll join the conversation, connect with us and other readers, ask questions, and share your insights.
Dr. Cameron is a Lyme disease expert and the author “Inside Lyme: An expert's guide to the science of Lyme disease.” He has been treating adolescents and adults for more than 30 years.
Please remember that the advice given is general and not intended as specific advice as to any particular patient. If you require specific advice, then please seek that advice from an experienced professional.