Dr. Daniel Cameron: Inside Lyme Podcast
Lyme disease patient left with tinnitus and hearing loss
I will be discussing a unique case involving a 46-year-old Lyme disease patient who was left with tinnitus and hearing loss.
This case was described by Jozefowicz-Korczynska and colleagues in the journal Frontiers in Neurology .
A 46-year-old male farmer was hospitalized with a “sudden onset of tinnitus and hearing loss in the left ear, dizziness, severe balance instability, and gait ataxia,” wrote the authors. (Gait ataxia consists of lack of voluntary coordination of muscle movements.)
The doctors initially suspected and Acoustic Neuroma. The tests were negative.
Instead, the doctors diagnosed Lyme disease by a spinal tap. He was prescribed 3 weeks of doxycycline followed by vestibular therapy.
His balance improved but not his hearing loss or tinnitus.
I would have treated the farmer longer or considered intravenous antibiotics.
- Jozefowicz-Korczynska M, Zamyslowska-Szmytke E, Piekarska A, Rosiak O. Vertigo and Severe Balance Instability as Symptoms of Lyme Disease-Literature Review and Case Report. Front Neurol. 2019 Nov 12;10:1172.
You can hear more about these cases through his blogs, social media, and YouTube. Sign up for our newsletter to keep up with these cases.
How to Connect with Dr. Daniel Cameron:
- Check out his website: https://www.DanielCameronMD.com/
- Call his office: 914-666-4665
- Email him: DCameron@DanielCameronMD.com
- Send him a request: https://danielcameronmd.com/contact-daniel-cameron-md/
- Like him on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/drdanielcameron/
- Join his Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/danielcameronmd/
- Follow him on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DrDanielCameron
- Sign up for his newsletter: https://www.DanielCameronMD.com/
- Subscribe and ring the bell: https://www.youtube.com/user/danielcameronmd/
- Leave a review on iTunes or wherever else you get your podcasts.
We, of course, hope you’ll join the conversation, connect with us and other readers, ask questions, and share your insights.
Dr. Cameron is a Lyme disease expert and the author “Inside Lyme: An expert's guide to the science of Lyme disease.” He has been treating adolescents and adults for more than 30 years.
Please remember that the advice given is general and not intended as specific advice as to any particular patient. If you require specific advice, then please seek that advice from an experienced professional.