Lyme disease and COVID-19 — Understanding the risks
I have Lyme disease patients in my practice who have been ill with COVID-19. Some have taken the COVID-19 vaccine. Others have refused to take it. This survey is expected to help individuals with Lyme disease understand the impact of having COVID-19 and/or the risk associated with the vaccine.
Listed below are several questions from the Lyme disease and COVID-19 survey. Your answers can assist us with understanding the potential side effects from COVID-19 and/or the vaccine in people with Lyme disease.
Please note, anyone with Lyme disease can take this survey ─ even those who have not had COVID or received the vaccine.
- How severe was your acute COVID-19 infection?
- Do you think your history of a tick-borne illnesses made your acute COVID-19 illness worse?
- Were you chronically ill from your COVID-19 illness?
- Have you had any chronic conditions from your COVID-19 illness?
- Did you have any side effects from your first COVID-19 vaccine?
- Would you encourage other individuals with Lyme disease or associated tick-borne illnesses to take the vaccine?
- What additional advice would you give to an individual with Lyme disease or another tick-borne illness who is considering taking the vaccine?
- Would you take a COVID-19 booster vaccine if a safe and effective booster were available?
- Do you plan on taking the COVID-19 vaccine?
- Are you concerned that the COVID-19 vaccine might increase the severity of your Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses?
- Were you ever advised to take the COVID-19 vaccine?
- Were you ever advised not to take the COVID-19 vaccine?
- Please tell us about your willingness to take the COVID-19 vaccine in the future.
- Why are you resistant to taking the COVID-19 vaccine?
Risk to Children
Participants in this survey include children and adolescents with Lyme disease, who have had COVID-19 or who have taken the vaccine. The survey will also include children who have not been vaccinated.
The survey has been approved by an Institutional Review Board. Individual results will remain confidential. The collective information will be shared on medical forums and in the author’s blogs.
Snowfall Survey Design
This survey will work if participants and leaders encourage each other to complete the survey. The more individuals participate the more we can learn about the risks.
Call for Leaders
I am calling for leaders to write me by email if they are willing to help make the snowball survey work.
This survey is funded by Dr. Daniel Cameron.
Dr. Daniel Cameron
344 Main Street
Mt. Kisco, New York 10549